woensdag 24 oktober 2012

Eartha Kitt


Vandaag een oude favoriet van mij: Eartha Kitt.

Ik herinner me haar betovering, jaaren geleden, jaren 60, van de song 'When the world was young' met 'Oh, the apple trees, sunlit memories …'
gelukkig hebben we tegenwoordig internet, waar ik zelfs uit verschillende versies kan kiezen om hier te laten horen:

Ja! Het stond op deze langspeelplaat.
en hier staat de tekst:

They call me coquette and mademoiselle
And I must admit I like it quite well
It's something to be the darling of all
La grande femme fatale
The Belle of the Ball
There's nothing as gay as life in 'Paree'
There's no other person I'd rather be
I love what I do, I love what I see.
But where is the schoolgirl that used to be me?

Ah, the apple trees
Where at garden teas
Jack o' lanterns swung
Fashions of the day
Vests of appliqué
Dresses of Shantung
Only yesterday
When the world was young.

While sitting around we often recall
The laugh of the year the night of them all
The blonde who was so attractive that year
Some opening night that made us all cheer.
Remember the time we all got so tight
And Jack and Antoine got into a fight
The gendarmes who came passed out like a light
I laugh at the rest, it's all very bright

Ah, the apple trees
Sunlit memories
Where the hammock swung
On our backs we'd lie
Looking at the sky
Till the stars were strung
Only last july
When the world was young.

You'll see me at Cap d'Antibes or in Spain
I follow the sun by boat or by plane
It's any old millionaire in a storm
But I've got my mink to keep my heart warm
And sometimes I drink too much with the crowd
And sometimes I talk a little too loud
My head may be aching, bit it's unbowed
And sometimes I see it all through a cloud.

Ah, the apple trees 
And the hive of bees
Where we once got stung
Summers at Bordeaux
Rowing at bateaux
Where the willow hung
Just a dream ago
When the world was young.


ik moest de tekst erg aanvullen en verbeteren, dus ik verwijs ook niet naar mijn bron. Dan moet die maar beter opletten.

de wiki zegt verder:

The English lyrics were written by Johnny Mercer. The original French title was "Le Chevalier de Paris".
knip
English lyrics were originally written by Carl Sigman, but these were rejected by the music publisher, Mickey Goldsen. Sigman suggested Mercer, and Mercer wrote the English lyrics (three verses and three choruses) in three days.[1]

en hier een versie waarin je haar 'My heart belongs to Daddy' kunt horen zingen:



en, ik kan het niet laten, toegiftjes voor de ernstige liefhebbersters.
en als jullie zeggen: 'get a life' dan zeg ik: 'jongens en meisjes, This is my life.' 
Zolang ik het naar mijn zin heb, wie doet me wat?

Santa baby:


Eartha Kitt Sings Everything Changes from Mimi Le Duck

en nog een eigentijdse parodie van de awesome good girls


Nou hier kunnen  we wel een paar dagen op vooruit toch? 

Have fun, elma

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten